On the left you will find the Vézelay Route (blue line; two green lines indicate variants) and the facilities along that route (blue circles). By zooming in on the map you will find accommodation (maroon and red symbols), train stations (green) and other facilities (blue).
- the maroon symbols refer to pilgrim hostels (by Confraternities of Saint James, municipalities, religious institutions and private persons) and home hospitality.
- the red symbols refer to general accommodation (B&B, hotels, campsites, etc.).
You will find more information about, for example, an accommodation if you click on the corresponding symbol. Please report any errors via the 'feedback' option.
The blue symbols with an ‘i’ indicate: the Tourist Offices, the Pilgrim Offices and the monuments which in 1998, within the framework of the ‘Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France', have been designated as World Heritage (UNESCO).
Here you can download files that can be opened via an app on your smartphone:
- KML file (Maps.me) (June 10, 2021)
- KML file (Google Earth) (June 10, 2021)
- GPX file (Garmin) (June 10, 2021)
- GPX file (GPXViewer) (June 10, 2021)
- GPX file (OSMand) (June 10, 2021)
- GPX file (ViewRanger) (June 10, 2021)
Map updated on June 10, 2021 (next update: around July10th).
You can drag the map and view the map in full screen
Covid info (June 10, 2021)
In February we asked the accommodations along the route whether they will be open or closed this season. Based on the responses received we have updated the map (above) and the files (opposite and below). We have indicated for these accommodations: updated 20210305 (or a later update). (If we indicate: "- -", the information dates from 2020).
The map shows which accommodations are open (accommodations in red or brown). Gray accommodations are closed or no information is available.
Please send us additional information, via the 'feedback' option or directly to email@example.com.
The vast majority of accommodations are open, but we advise you to reserve in time, because the number of places is limited due to sanitary measures.
In the section COVID-19 you will find additional information about the health situation in France and Spain.
- Vézelay Route 'Via Lemovicensis', edition January 2020 (PDF) (updated March 5, 2021), by: Dutch Association of Saint James. This guide covers the main branches, via Nevers and via Bourges, and the variants via Sancoins and Bergerac.
- Facilities (PDF) (updated June 10, 2021), by: Dutch Association of Saint James. This overview of facilities along the Vézelay Route is linked to the guide above.
- Vézelay Route (background information) (PDF) (March 2019), by: Arno Cuppen. Article published in the eBulletin of the Confraternity of Saint James (London).
Guidebooks (in French):
Budget your journey
With the 'calculator' below you can estimate how many days you will be on the road to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port or Santiago de Compostela, and how much your journey will cost.
The budget consists of:
- the overnight stay: pilgrim accommodation, camp sites or general accommodation (B&B, hotels, etc.),
- the meals: prepare yourself, (pilgrim) menu or ‘à la carte’.
In the calculator we propose 3 options: budget 'small', 'average' and 'large'. An extra option is to make the trip completely independent, wild camping (if that is allowed) and preparing all meals yourself.
Go to the calculator by clicking on this symbol:
Tip: you can estimate the travel costs to your point of departure and back home via rome2rio.com and blablacar.
Vézelay is an important junction: pilgrim roads from Paris, the Netherlands and Belgium, Germany and Switzerland come together here. Unfortunately there are no guides in English. (For guides in other languages see the French, German and Dutch pages of this portal).
If you travel by train or bus to Vézelay: travel information (including the walk from the Sermizelles-Vézelay railway station to Vézelay).
To go on foot from the Auxerre or Avallon railway stations to Vézelay: at the moment the directions are in French only. (See at the bottom of this page.)